The Group started in 1934 and the first troop camp at Botley, was held that year. The Group has always been centred on St Michaels Church. Before the church halls were built they met in a hut off Balgores Lane.
The first Group Scout Master was the Rev. Elvin, with Freddie Rowswell (a master at Brentwood School), as the Assistant Scout Master.
1935 saw the first of many foreign camps — three days in Brussels and eleven day in the Ardennes.
The Group kept going through the war years, boys helping with wartime emergency services. After the war in 1946 the Troop was again camping abroad.
In 1952 the Rover Crew was established and a Group Gang Show took place. As the years ticked by Scouters were found for the increasing number of boys. Freddie Rowswel became Group Scout Master, followed by R.Gingell, P.Rance and now Allen Matthews, a member for 55 years.
The present Group H.Q. was built under the watchful eye of Tony Jones, by with willing parent help. The premises are shared with the Guides. The name — Rowswell Hall — aptly named after this keen 3rd Gidea Park Scouter who still maintains contact with his many Scouts around the world. The Hall provided better facilities for Scouting and events to attract parental involvement.
Throughout its near half century the Group has maintained close association with the Church. Nevertheless it is an open Group and many denominations figure among its members.